Smoothies don’t always get a lot of love because they aren’t always the healthiest thing to eat, or drink. Depending on what you put in a smoothie, it can contain a lot of fat and sugar, which obviously aren’t great. That being said, smoothies can vary a lot based on the ingredients. You can not only make a great tasting smoothie at home, but also fill it to the brim with nutrients. You can even make smoothies that help you lose weight and make you healthier. Smoothie ingredients can be chosen based on their health benefits, like burn fat, help digestion and much more. In this article, we will share our top 5 smoothies for a healthy life, which will make you crave for more as they are simply delicious!
Smoothies aren’t just super tasty; they can also keep your hunger away for several hours. You can take a smoothie for breakfast, lunch or even as dinner. As a smoothie is easily made at home, the possibilities are endless. You can add things to your liking and make your own magic mix. Don’t hesitate to try new things and discover new tastes. Just make sure you use healthy and unprocessed ingredients as much as possible, so the end product is as healthy as possible.
All you will need to make these smoothies is a blender, a glass and a knife for preparing the ingredients. You can add water or milk to make it less or more liquid and therefore decide to eat or drink a smoothie. Easy, cheap and healthy. Just the way we like it! Don’t have a blender yet? We have a couple of nice ones selected for you here.
Our top 5 smoothies for a healthy life
This smoothie is great for starting off your day. You can also use it a while before you start training as it will get you going and maintain your energy levels for a couple of hours. Spinach is super rich in vitamins A, C and K, magnesium and iron. It is healthy and tasty. Read more about spinach and it’s health benefits here. Almonds are great for lowering blood sugar levels, blood pressure and cholesterol.
This is what you will need:
- 2 hands full of spinach. Preferable fresh spinach.
- A big spoon of almond milk. More can be added if you like. Coconut milk, or basically any nut milk is suitable.
- 1 apple, peeled.
- 1 banana, peeled.
- A handful of oatmeal. More can be added to suit your personal needs and wishes.
- 1 tablespoon of coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Optional: some ice, a handful of blueberries or some peanut butter.
Preparing this smoothie, or basically any smoothie, is super easy and fast. First put the spinach and coconut oil and milk in the blender and mix it to a homogenous mix. Then add the rest of the ingredients and mix it a bit more. That’s it! Enjoy the wonderful taste of this healthy smoothie.
Variations: you can also make it a bit cheaper and more simple. This is what I personally like to do every now and then. Just use 1 apple, 1 banana, 200 grams of fresh spinach and about 350ml of water. Add a handful of blueberries if you wish, put it in the blender and mix for a minute. Super healthy, less heavy on the stomach and still keeps you going for a good while. Give it a try!
You’ve got to love mango to like this one, but we absolutely love it! When it comes to nutrients, this one is right up there. It’s super healthy and super tasty. The mango is great for boosting your immunity, lowering cholesterol and aiding in weight loss. Avocado is loaded with super healthy mono-saturated fatty acids, which are great for your heart health. Blueberries are filled with antioxidants, which may help you against cancer by reducing DNA damage, while also protect cholesterol from damage. Try it yourself and you will quickly find out why we love it.
What you will need for the mango madness smoothie
- Half a mango – peeled.
- Half an avocado – peeled.
- A handful of blueberries.
- 1-2 tablespoons of Greek yoghurt.
- Lemon juice from half a lemon.
- 1 teaspoon of honey.
- Some ice cubes.
- Water or mango juice. The amount is variable, depending on how fluid you want to make the smoothie.
How to make this smoothie
This one is even simpler than the Green Goodness smoothie. Just throw everything in the blender, turn it on for about a minute and enjoy!
A slightly more controversial smoothie, as some people love it, while others start to gag when thinking about it. Double K stands for Kiwi and Kale. Whatever you think about the taste, one thing is certain: this is a very healthy smoothie. Kiwi is known for its high Vitamin C content, boost of the immune system, lowering blood pressure and more.
Kale is super healthy. In fact, it is one of the most healthy and nutrient rich plants on the planet. It holds a great amount of beneficial nutrients, like vitamins, calcium and magnesium. It is also loaded with antioxidants and helps to lower cholesterol. So a great superfood and thus a perfect ingredient for a smoothie for a healthy life. Read more about the health benefits of kale here.
This is what you will need:
- 200 ml of milk, nut milk or regular milk.
- A big handful of Kale. Again, this isn’t science, just add what you like best.
- 1 kiwi, peeled.
- 1 tablespoon of peanut butter.
- 1 teaspoon of honey.
All you will need to do is put it all in the blender and mix it for a minute. Easy, quick and a great boost for your health. Let us know what you think of this smoothie.
Ice cold strawberry smoothie
This smoothie is easy and delicious and is best used on a warm day, when you want an ice cold, healthy refreshment. It is a more classic smoothie recipe, with strawberries as main ingredient. Strawberries are a good source of vitamin C and are rich in antioxidants. Read more about vitamin C in our article here.
What you need for this smoothie:
- 200 grams of frozen strawberries.
- 100 ml of coconut milk
- 150 ml of orange juice, preferably freshly made.
- A few leaves of fresh mint.
- A few fresh strawberries, to top off the smoothies.
You will be able to make about 2 smoothies with these ingredients. Add the frozen strawberries, the coconut milk and the orange juice in the blender and mix them until you’ll have a good mix. Then add the leaves of mint and mix a bit more. Pour the smoothie mix in 2 glasses and add the fresh strawberries on top, to make it look great.
This smoothie is healthy, delicious and creamy. It’s a powerhouse with awesome ingredients that provide loads of good nutrients. Furthermore it has good protein content and enough fiber to keep you satisfied for hours. As the name suggests, its filled with all kinds of berries. You can add any type you like to make your own variations. The berries in this smoothie add a lot of antioxidants. Chia is adding even more antioxidants and more nutrients like fiber and protein, without the calories. This will help you lose weight. Last, but not least, chia offers a lot of omega-3 fatty acids, which are great for lowering the risk of heart disease and diabetes.
This is what you will need for this smoothie:
- A big hand full (or 2) of berries, like strawberries or blue berries.
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds.
- 1 cup of Greek yoghurt.
- 1 tablespoon of vanilla extract.
- Half a cup of ice.
Preparing this healthy smoothie cannot be simpler; just add everything to a blender, mix for a minute and enjoy your well-deserved and tasty Berry Blaster.
Ingredients you should avoid in smoothies for a healthy life
We have mentioned many healthy, delicious ingredients. However we also want to mention a few ingredients that you should avoid for the simple reason that they aren’t healthy.
- Sweeteners and sugar. Although they may sweeten up your smoothie, it will definitely not make it healthier.
- Canned fruit. We love fruit. Fresh fruit. Please don’t think canned fruit is a good alternative. They are not healthy in any way and can’t be compared with fresh fruit.
- Fruit juice. Just like canned fruit, fruit juice you buy in a shop simply isn’t the same thing as fresh, homemade fruit juice. Just leave it at the shop and head over to the fruit & veggie department.
- Flavoured yoghurt and nonfat yoghurt. Although yoghurt can be great, the flavoured type is not. These include too much sugar and should be skipped at a store. Nonfat yoghurt sounds great, but it actually makes the yoghurt more watery and less useful. Take a high fat yoghurt instead; it will not hurt your weight loss effort. Stick with Greek yoghurt, Icelandic yoghurt or Kefir.
- Frozen yoghurt. Again, this might sound quick and good, it’s basically just ice cream. Just put your Greek yoghurt in the fridge and use that instead.
Final words on healthy smoothies
We have mentioned it above, but this is the number one rule when it comes to smoothies: there are no rules! You can make whatever you like and mix ingredients how you like. We encourage everybody to try new things, make your own variations and share them with us! When you like one of the smoothies above, but dislike one of the ingredients; just swap it for something else. This is the fun of smoothies; everything goes!
We hope you are as enthusiastic about smoothies after reading this article. If you have any questions, please feel free to write a comment, or contact us.